Highest Partnership in IPL History
The Indian Premier League (IPL) is one of the most sought-after and lucrative cricket leagues in the world. Since its inception in 2008, the tournament has seen some amazing batting partnerships that have left the fans in awe. In this article, we will take a closer look at the highest partnerships in IPL history.
Highest Partnership in IPL
The highest partnership in the IPL is held by Chris Gayle and Virat Kohli, who amassed an incredible 229-run stand for the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) against the Gujarat Lions in 2016. The duo is known to be two of the most fearsome and destructive batsmen in the history of the IPL, and when they are on a roll, no bowling attack is safe.
The match was played at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore, and RCB won the toss and decided to bat first. Gayle and Kohli walked out to open the innings, and what followed was a batting masterclass. Gayle started with his trademark aggression and hammered the bowlers to all corners of the park. Kohli, on the other hand, played the role of an anchor and kept rotating the strike.
Gayle smashed his century off just 47 balls, while Kohli took a more measured approach and reached his hundred off 63 balls. The partnership finally came to an end in the 18th over when Gayle was dismissed for a breathtaking 122 off 62 balls. Kohli remained unbeaten on 109 off 55 balls as RCB amassed an imposing total of 248/3 in their allotted 20 overs.
The Gujarat Lions were never in the game as they were bowled out for just 104 in 18.4 overs, handing RCB a massive 144-run victory. Gayle and Kohli’s partnership was an ideal combination of aggression and technique, and it will be remembered as one of the greatest batting partnerships of all time in the IPL.
The second-highest partnership in IPL history is between Adam Gilchrist and Shaun Marsh, who put on 206 runs for Kings XI Punjab against Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2011. This partnership is also the highest opening stand in IPL history. The third-highest partnership is between David Warner and Kane Williamson, who scored 176 runs for Sunrisers Hyderabad against Kolkata Knight Riders in 2017.
Top 10 Highest Partnership In IPL
Here is a list of the top 10 highest partnerships in the IPL:
- 229 runs between Chris Gayle and Virat Kohli for Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions in 2016.
- 206 runs between Adam Gilchrist and Shaun Marsh for Kings XI Punjab vs Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2011.
- 176 runs between David Warner and Kane Williamson for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders in 2017.
- 175 runs between Jonny Bairstow and David Warner for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2019.
- 170 runs between Gautam Gambhir and Chris Lynn for Kolkata Knight Riders vs Gujarat Lions in 2017.
- 167 runs between Shane Watson and Faf du Plessis for Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab in 2020.
- 163 runs between AB de Villiers and Virat Kohli for Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Mumbai Indians in 2015.
- 156 runs between Virender Sehwag and Mandeep Singh for Kings XI Punjab vs Rajasthan Royals in 2012.
- 152 runs between Shikhar Dhawan and Kane Williamson for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Delhi Daredevils in 2018.
- 151 runs between David Warner and Naman Ojha for Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2015.